updating handbook of Okteta (was: Re: ark handbook outdated?)

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Sun Aug 3 22:19:36 CEST 2008

Am Sonntag, 3. August 2008, um 21:58 Uhr, schrieb Burkhard Lück:
> Am Sonntag 03 August 2008 20:58:32 schrieb Friedrich W. H. Kossebau:
> > Am Sonntag, 3. August 2008, um 20:31 Uhr, schrieb Burkhard Lück:
> > > P.S.
> > > I have startet to update the okteta handbook.
> >
> > Great. Just... be prepared, I am hoping to do quite some changes to
> > Okteta for 4.2. So any content in trunk is in danger to be outofdate
> > soon. So perhaps you better delay work on the handbook of Okteta until
> > november.
>
> No, we need an uptodate documentation for 4.1 asap, that will be accepted
> by the translators only as backport from trunk.

Alright.

> > Especially how to use them, I found some people to have a little problem
> > using them without help. If you need support there, do not hesitate to
> > ask me :)
>
> Sorry, I am just a translator who doesn not like to translate outdated and
> wrong stuff, so my main intention is to fix the doc bugs.
> As more than half of the doc (especially in base) is from kde 3, there is a
> lot to do for me with this issue.

I guess so. Thanks for getting on this, really needed. :)

> But I have some questions for the current okteta:
>
> File->Export Values, Plain Text, C array, View in Plain Text, what is the
> difference to these items in Edit->Copy as?

So this is not obvious? Hm...
Entries in File menu: export to file.
Entries in Edit menu: export to clipboard.
How could I make this clearer?

> What is "View in Plain Text"?

A difficulty to name thing ;)
Selecting this entry uses the current layout of the view on the screen and
renders it as simple text, so e.g. you can copy it in an email like this:

D0F0 | 2F 4B 6F 64  65 2F 6B 64  65 73 76 6E  2F 74 72 75 | /Kode/kdesvn/tru
D100 | 6E 6B 2F 4B  44 45 2F 62  75 69 6C 64  2E 64 65 62 | nk/KDE/build.deb
D110 | 75 67 2F 6B  64 65 75 74  69 6C 73 2F  6F 6B 74 65 | ug/kdeutils/okte
D120 | 74 61 2F 63  6F 72 65 2F  6F 6B 74 65  74 61 63 6F | ta/core/oktetaco

Cmp.
http://frinring.wordpress.com/2008/05/18/final-okteta-features-for-kde-41/

> Insert Pattern
> Options in the dialog box allow you to specify the length of the pattern,
> it's format (hexadecimal, decimal, octal, binary or text) and the insertion
> point.
> This is wrong, no lenth and insertion point, but what is Number?

Number is the, well, number of times the pattern gets inserted. Could you (or
someone else) help with a better term, perhaps?

> What is the tool Versions?

It is not build in the release version, at least should not be. Used for
debugging and lists the editing history of the current session, cmp.
http://frinring.wordpress.com/2008/06/14/broken-by-broken-design-fixed-by-fixed-design/
So nothing which needs to be documented, I think.

Gruß
Friedrich

--
Okteta - KDE Hex Editor, coming to you with KDE 4.1