shared menus

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu May 21 18:23:52 CEST 2009

I turned off shared menu for TAI container; shared menu (for TAI) has
two effects:
- menu might be above tab strip instead of below
- menus can't appear in child windows (e.g. if child is a container)

The second I think is undesirable as default. As for the first, I would
go so far as to recommend that TAI containers should query if the child
has a menu, and if so, display it "as if shared", i.e. so the menu is
drawn in the same place regardless.

This brings up an important question, however; when using shared menu,
what do you do if the app /has/ no menu? I'm not sure hiding it is good
because then the layout potentially changes when you switch windows.
Should we have some sort of "empty menu" that would be used if the child
doesn't provide a menu?

Also... I'm debating turning on shared menus by default for /GAI/. What
do you think? (For smaller containers I think it would be good, but not
necessarily so much for maximized or root GAI. Though we do have the
argument that currently there is no shared menus at all...)

--
Matthew
This is not a sig. I am too lazy to steal one, perhaps you could loan me