shared menus

Maciej Pilichowski bluedzins at wp.pl
Thu May 21 18:58:40 CEST 2009

On Thursday 21 May 2009 18:23:52 Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> I turned off shared menu for TAI container; shared menu (for TAI)
> has two effects:
> - menu might be above tab strip instead of below

It was intended :-)

> - menus can't appear in child windows (e.g. if child is a
> container)

Only if child is TAI as well. If it is GAI this sentence is not true.

> The second I think is undesirable as default.

I made this on on one purpose only -- the most recognizable app in KDE
world TAI-like is Konqueror. Konq. has shared menu.

> As for the first, I
> would go so far as to recommend that TAI containers should query if
> the child has a menu, and if so, display it "as if shared", i.e. so
> the menu is drawn in the same place regardless.

I don't see difference (except for empty menu).

> This brings up an important question, however; when using shared
> menu, what do you do if the app /has/ no menu? I'm not sure hiding
> it is good because then the layout potentially changes when you
> switch windows. Should we have some sort of "empty menu" that would
> be used if the child doesn't provide a menu?

Yes. I would opt for creating menu "close" on-fly in case of
empty-menu. Or even with help menu as well. After all, space is
already taken, why not use it?

> Also... I'm debating turning on shared menus by default for /GAI/.
> What do you think?

I put this off because KDE by default doesn't use shared menu. So --
backward compatibility.

Cheers,