Decorators

Maciej Pilichowski bluedzins at wp.pl
Thu May 21 08:50:13 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 20 May 2009 20:29:35 Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> >> It is recommended that decorations provide menu placement as an
> >> option, per container type.
> >
> > Hmm, so shared menu is not a global option but per decoration? In
> > such case I opt (strongly :-D) for "it is required...".
>
> While I agree in principle, I vote for deferring to Lubos on this
> :-).

I am thinking about problems in a future. If it is "required" I can
post a _bug_ report for it, if it is "recommended" I can post a
_wish_ report only. And I already know that it is likely I get the
answer "nah, do your own deco". I am not fan of options but I think
providing options is much more reasonable than creating hundreds of
deco styles (themes, and so on) to put this or that detail in
different place.

Every deco should be prepared to handle shared menu.

> Thinking about it again maybe it should be a global option, I
> think I was mainly considering different decorator might want
> different default (also there may be problems with decorators
> supporting all modes).

On the other hand I (as user) would not like to change options back
and back to those I like because deco overrides them.

> But I probably won't object if you want to re-write it back :-).

I would really like to avoid problems, so we could get clean
start. "shared menu is not something deco can ignore, period".

> First... is it okay if you can change it per container? If yes,
> then I think all I would change is to add:
>
> Desktop (root) window should...
> (*) ...always shows menu in child window
> ( ) ...always show menus at the top of the container
> ( ) ...use the default setting for its container type

Ok, done, I changed to checkboxes, because other containers use
checkboxes too.

Cheers,