Summary of NWI -- the page

Maciej Pilichowski bluedzins at wp.pl
Wed May 20 20:23:16 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 20 May 2009 20:01:19 Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> > On Tuesday 19 May 2009 21:40:42 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> >> I've been sort-of assuming we need to be able to name containers
> >> (i.e. user-assigned caption).
> >
> > Yes, but this is not required, right?
>
> Technically, no, but what do we name the containers otherwise?

Container 1, container 2... I use "desktop N" for a few years, no
problems with that :-)

> (Naming desktops isn't required either, but is evidently useful in
> some cases. Oh, look... naming desktops is just an instance of
> naming containers in NWI. Yay!)

:-))

> I fully expect that, for organizational purposes, I will do things
> like name my GAI container "photo indexing".

Ok, sure.

> >> Maybe there should be a class also;
> >
> > Set by user?
>
> Yes, that was the idea.

Then we should make some purpose of it. I.e. decide how we collapse
windows. So far -- we check similarity by app initially launched. For
that class set by user is not required.

> >> Is putting [choice of container] in the "confirm" dialog [when
> >> creating a container] okay? It should be the same number of
> >> clicks (maybe more mousing, though) and lets you change your
> >> mind any time before confirming.
> >
> > YES! I like it very much. Well, next to the choices there could
> > be nice icons (self-explanatory) with illustration what FAI and
> > so on means.
>
> That too :-). (The alternative is put container type in a sub-menu
> of the 'create container' menu item. So the proposal is to skip
> this; you either must change it in dialog or get a default type,
> probably same as the last type created.)

I think your idea is much better. I would remove anything else, in
this case submenu. "Create container", control dialog is shown, you
can name your container, select a type, cancel, accept. It is really
straightforward.

Cheers,