closing documents, take 2 (was: Summary of NWI -- the page)

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon May 18 20:18:07 CEST 2009

Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> On Saturday 16 May 2009 04:04:11 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
>>> [ ] closing document closes "its" application if there are
>>> sibling instances of that application within the container<br>
>>
>> Okay... this makes no sense. Why would I want the application to
>> quit because I have more than one window open?
>
> :-DDDDDDDDDDDDD It is your idea, so I assumed you have a reason for
> such behaviour :-))))))))) I only understood it as a gesture for Mac
> users.

That was my idea? I thought the options you have ticked as default...

> About month ago you wrote:
> "What about a policy that close doc will close the application also if
> there are sibling instances of that app? I think I would be okay
> implementing it that way."

...are what this is talking about. I am confused :-).

Maybe an example will help. Let's say I have four kwrite windows in TAI,
two each belonging to one process (which is something that should stop
IMO, but for now we'll use this as the example). Call them A, B, C, D,
with {A, B} belonging to process 1, and {C, D} belonging to process 2.

I do 'close document' to A. For the three possible options, what
happens? What would happen if B, C, D were in a different container?

As I read it currently...

A, B, C, D in container:
1 - process 1 is exited; A and B windows close
2 - not last instance, so window A is closed
3 - same as 2

A only window in container:
1 - document is closed, don't know what happens to window???
2 - action is denied
3 - document is closed, leaving "empty application"*

(I'm numbering the options as they are in the wiki, so 1 is the one
quoted above, and the default is 3.)

--
Matthew
"For UNIX thou art, and to UNIX thou shalt return"