NWI: hollow apps

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Mar 17 19:31:48 CET 2009

Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> [see previous message for context]
>   Matthew, first issue -- is this technically possible? If no, end of
> story. If yes -- do you like it?

Technically... it should be (same as empty containers). I'm not sure how
much I like it, though; seems like a waste of space, not very consistent
with how docking usually works. For tab container a one-window container
just shows a tab bar, though, so that is probably fine. Hmm, actually
for floating you almost have to have, by definition, empty containers.
How bad would it be to have some containers can be empty but others can't?

So that leaves tiled; there are pluses, sure, but I'm not sure about the
space usage. What if there was no empty space but some other visual
indicator (e.g. in the title bar, different frame on the container, etc)
that you now have a window in a tile container versus just a window?
(Actually I think the title bar already would be different, so...)

I do like having a "wrap current window in a {tabbed,tiled,floating}
container" though. (I actually have assumed for a while these would be
bindable keys, just haven't said it explicitly.)

--
Matthew
You're on your own for the pony. -- Richard Hughes, on feature requests