CLosing apps

Maciej Pilichowski bluedzins at wp.pl
Mon Mar 16 22:55:20 CET 2009

On Monday 16 March 2009 21:12:54 Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> > * close direct parent container of this window (except desktop)
>
> Is an empty container allowed? If not, your "close all siblings"
> overlaps. My preference would be for just this one.

Good question. Initially I was against it, but more and more I think
about it and I opt for -- yes.

Pro:
* empty desktop exists
* more natural feel for TAI -- after closing the last tab, you don't
have to create container from beginning
Cons:
* may looks odd (containers are frames really)

So I opt for:
* TAI can be empty
* GAI can be empty
* single app. (SAI) -- cannot be empty (by definition)

> Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> > On Monday 16 March 2009 19:59:15 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> >> I'll try the "poetry" again.
> >>
> >> If I have:
> >>   container
> >>     konq
> >>     konq
> >>     okular
> >>     konq
> >>
> >> ...I'm not convinced we need a shortcut to close just the konq's
> >> in the above. (Unless it is "close all siblings" :-), which is
> >> probably a good action to have, though I'd leave it unbound by
> >> default.)
> >
> > I also don't think we need shortcut for close _konquerors_, but I
> > am 100% sure we need (I need) shortcut for close _this
> > konqueror_.
>
> What is "close this konqueror" in the above?

Let's say the container is TAI --> closing one tab.

> > There is also close-doc -- CD.
>
> As far as the WM is concerned, a window is indivisible, the
> smallest unit of existence. I think I am using "window" to mean
> what you are calling "doc", and you are using "window" to mean what
> I am calling "container"?

:-))) For me window is more like app. Doc is doc (in okular: pdf for
example).

> >> I think CP is needed,
> >>
> >> I suggested adding wm-close-siblings-all.
> >
> > So in case of Konq. TDI this would close all tabs? Right? In case
> > of TAI: kpdf * 10, konq * 10, this would close 20 tabs total?
> > Right? If yes, I totally agree.
>
> Nope. This would be what I'm calling wm-close-parent...
>
> > If yes -- I also suggest "close all siblings except this one".
>
> ...and /this/ is wm-close-siblings :-).

So implicitly you are saying there are no empty containers. Hmmm...

> Example (in ()'s are containers, others are windows):
>
> (a)
>    (c)
>    f <-- active
> (g)
>
> wm-close-siblings: close b,c (and implicitly d,e)
> wm-close-parent: close a (and implicitly b-f)

Ok (for the meaning).

> >> We disagree on
> >> wm-close-siblings-similar (which, slight misnomer, also closes
> >> current).
> >
> > I am against because I see no purpose in closing just 10 okulars
> > (example above) just in this container. If anything "close all
> > apps of this kind" (in entire system) seems for me more
> > reasonable.
>
> I'm confused, isn't that exactly what I've been saying? ;-)
> /me calls massive communication failure :-)

So we are both on wm-close-siblings-similar? Ok.

Communication -- yes, slight problems ;-)).

> > Here I am neutral (so I agree with what you say):
> > * close all instances, system wide, of this app
>
> Also, this (*app*-close-all) isn't strictly WM-relevant, so it
> makes sense to defer it.

Ok.

> > Could you please you accept / don't accept those.
>
> Except for still not sure what you want from "close doc" vs "close
> window", +1.

Let's say I start kpdf+doc. Closing doc, would be closing the opened
file. Closing window would be closing kpdf as application.

> Again I prefer that apps should strive to eliminate
> MDI entirely and leave it to the WM, in which case "close doc" and
> "close window" are the same thing.

I am against this. IMHO we should have two-level structure for
application:
* application (menu, toolbar, etc)
* document (the content)

Partly good example is single instance of OOWriter. You can close the
doc, or you can close the window (app).

The novelty of WMI is ability to group windows (apps) togethers -- it
it the 3rd level of structure.

Since I opt for such "layout", I opt also for ability to close any
item at any point -- document, app, or container.

After we finish I have one think to discuss more. The Gimp case (it
was just a reminder for myself) :-).

I hope you are not mad at me at that point ;-D

Cheers,