CLosing apps

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Mar 16 21:12:54 CET 2009

Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> On Monday 16 March 2009 19:59:15 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> I'll try the "poetry" again.
>>
>> If I have:
>>   container
>>     konq
>>     konq
>>     okular
>>     konq
>>
>> ...I'm not convinced we need a shortcut to close just the konq's in
>> the above. (Unless it is "close all siblings" :-), which is
>> probably a good action to have, though I'd leave it unbound by
>> default.)
>
> I also don't think we need shortcut for close _konquerors_, but I am
> 100% sure we need (I need) shortcut for close _this konqueror_.

What is "close this konqueror" in the above?

> There is also close-doc -- CD.

As far as the WM is concerned, a window is indivisible, the smallest
unit of existence. I think I am using "window" to mean what you are
calling "doc", and you are using "window" to mean what I am calling
"container"?

>> I think CP is needed,
>>
>> I suggested adding wm-close-siblings-all.
>
> So in case of Konq. TDI this would close all tabs? Right? In case of
> TAI: kpdf * 10, konq * 10, this would close 20 tabs total? Right? If
> yes, I totally agree.

Nope. This would be what I'm calling wm-close-parent...

> If yes -- I also suggest "close all siblings except this one".

...and /this/ is wm-close-siblings :-).

Example (in ()'s are containers, others are windows):

(a)
   (c)
   f <-- active
(g)

wm-close-siblings: close b,c (and implicitly d,e)
wm-close-parent: close a (and implicitly b-f)

>> We disagree on
>> wm-close-siblings-similar (which, slight misnomer, also closes
>> current).
>
> I am against because I see no purpose in closing just 10 okulars
> (example above) just in this container. If anything "close all apps
> of this kind" (in entire system) seems for me more reasonable.

I'm confused, isn't that exactly what I've been saying? ;-)
/me calls massive communication failure :-)

> Little summary. For me basic minimum:
> * close doc
> * close this, current, window (this only instance of app)
> * close topmost container (not counting desktop)
> * close all siblings (but keep the container)
> * close all siblings except this one (hey, this would work nicely at
> the desktop level)

Hmm... yeah, it could :-). Personally I think it's dangerous, but that's
why I probably won't bind this one on my systems; I have no problem with
others wanting it.

> Here I am neutral (so I agree with what you say):
> * close all instances, system wide, of this app

Also, this (*app*-close-all) isn't strictly WM-relevant, so it makes
sense to defer it.

> * close direct parent container of this window (except desktop)

Is an empty container allowed? If not, your "close all siblings"
overlaps. My preference would be for just this one.

> Could you please you accept / don't accept those.

Except for still not sure what you want from "close doc" vs "close
window", +1. Again I prefer that apps should strive to eliminate MDI
entirely and leave it to the WM, in which case "close doc" and "close
window" are the same thing.

--
Matthew
"I don't question your existence -- God" (seen on a church billboard)