CLosing apps

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Mar 16 17:26:57 CET 2009

Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
>   Maybe I put this in separate threads, we don't have too much threads
> on this ML, so why not :-).
>
>   While going to sleep yesterday I realized it is not that easy to
> provide logical closing and being compatible with current UI, or
> maybe I miss something.
>
> Let's say we use
> ctrl-q close appp
> ctrl-w close doc

Didn't we (meaning, kde-usability in general IIRC) agree this is
*already* messed up? ;-)

> Consider okular. Easy, right? Ok, let's put two okulars into GAI.
> Still easy. To be consistent when we put those into TAI we should
> have the same meaning, but "additionally" ctrl-q would mean "close
> the tab" (tab of parent-container).

I think the only way to be consistent is: ctrl-w closes the current
window, ctrl-q issues 'pkill <name-of-app>' (actually it would do
something via dbus that would do a "clean exit", but the idea is that
after ctrl-q, there should be 0 instances of that app process). Note
that ctrl-q is special-use, e.g. upgrading an application, releasing its
open configuration files, etc. I'd even argue if ctrl-q should be
/bound/ by default.

I'd use alt-f4 for either 'close container (or window, if parent==root)'
or 'close the child-of-root of this tree'.

And yes, there /will/ be compatibility issues with apps that have non-WM
MDI (e.g. konq, firefox); I don't think that's avoidable, and I think
the best long-term solution is to label such apps broken. (Note that I'm
also expecting some application-level integration with the WM, for e.g.
new window. What I'd like to see happen is konq/konsole be able to ask
the WM if it is NWI and drop their own MDI if so, for compatibility with
other WM's. Then we can pressure others to follow.)

--
Matthew
"I don't question your existence -- God" (seen on a church billboard)