CLosing apps

Maciej Pilichowski bluedzins at wp.pl
Sun Mar 15 08:20:23 CET 2009

Hi,

  Maybe I put this in separate threads, we don't have too much threads
on this ML, so why not :-).

  While going to sleep yesterday I realized it is not that easy to
provide logical closing and being compatible with current UI, or
maybe I miss something.

Let's say we use
ctrl-q close appp
ctrl-w close doc

Consider okular. Easy, right? Ok, let's put two okulars into GAI.
Still easy. To be consistent when we put those into TAI we should
have the same meaning, but "additionally" ctrl-q would mean "close
the tab" (tab of parent-container).

But then having not okular, but konq. in those tabs. Same behaviour
but this means we won't be compatible with current UI. Ctrl-w is
now "close the tab".

So let's try from the other side -- TAI, all konq, ctrl-w closes the
tab (app), ctrl-q closes the container. The same case with GAI still
make some sense, but let's change konq. to okulars and you see it is
impossible to close just doc, because each ctrl-w would close the
okular (the number of apps within container would decrease).

I don't see a way (now)(*) we could do both -- be logical and keep
backward compatibility. And even besides this -- some broken apps,
like konq. would need fixing -- providing ability to close single doc
(I am not saying what should happen next -- empty state or new doc
state).

(*) one crazy idea is to change the meaning of those keys depending of
container -- GAI or TAI, since there is no GAI now, no compatibility
issue

Cheers,