NWI key bindings

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Mar 11 22:51:08 CET 2009

Trying to sum up thoughts on Nested Window Interface key bindings... See
also http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.usability.devel/355.

---- Switchers are Shiny, i.e. can be eye candy, and look like e.g.
cover switch, box switch, that we have today, only they need to extend
to handling a tree rather than a list.

I don't want to get too deep into design of actual switchers, especially
as I expect switchers can and will be designed by third parties.

---- Switchers have their own key bindings that are logical but not
necessarily the same as global bindings. While in a switcher, the
switcher gets all key and mouse events.

Q. Is using own bindings okay or a terrible idea? Should they be
configurable?

An option would be to accept switcher keys as overriding global keys,
but accept instructions from global keys. For example, the switcher
would *only* bind arrows, but global keys would send e.g. next,
previous. Not sure about this, though; making the switcher keys
configurable might be better.

---- Global keys are:
historic previous  mod+back
historic next      mod+shift-back
spatial previous   mod+left  (RTL: mod+right)
spatial next       mod+right (RTL: mod+left)
(Switcher is activated by any of the above and stays active as long as
mod is held.)

Q. What about mod+[shift-]tab; spatial, historic, or root-child-switch?

Q. Do we /need/ "activate switcher {here,at parent}" default bindings?
If so, what? (For 'at parent', probably mod+pgup?)

Q. Should spatial switching *always* switch horizontal, then vertical,
or change to respect languages that are read vertically first? (Maybe
the former, since tab order - I think? - doesn't change under these
circumstances?)

Mod would be alt or meta (it cannot be ctrl because ctrl is used for
word-wise operations when editing text). Yes, even ctrl-tab is unavailable.

The "activate switcher" keys would, if tapped, activate the switcher and
leave it up until a selection is confirmed. If said bindings use a
modifier, and the modifier is held for a delay (or followed by other
keypresses while holding the modifier), then releasing the modifier
confirms the switch.

--
Matthew
Microsoft has become the next IBM; a dinosaur struggling to survive in