Fwd: Adding "group/split" button to the decoration

Maciej Pilichowski bluedzins at wp.pl
Sat Jul 11 13:25:36 CEST 2009

On Friday 10 July 2009 19:09:20 Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> > On Thursday 09 July 2009 18:25:08 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> >> Well, you can hide parts of split views... same problem :-).
> >
> > They are usually prepared to have scrollbars. We won't have such
> > situation.
>
> ?
>
> If a UI is done with a splitter layout, I can use the splitter to
> make one half of the split hidden. I don't know where there are
> scrollbars here.

Before writing previous post I checked the Konqueror. Normally you
cannot minimize the dialog less than its minimal size. But you could
do this with pane. Because it does not shrink, it just shows
scrollbar.

Unless you intented to put all windows inside GAI in scrollable panes.

> > But more problems for you :-) What happens (how container should
> > look) after minimizing maximized window in GAI?
>
> Do you mean restore (un-maximize)?

No. I mean -- minimize maximized window. What would happen with GAI?

> I would be okay with an actual
> minimize function but not sure how it should work;

We didn't discussed it yet, so I don't know what you have in mind :-))

> > I still think it would be more obvious if maximize would mean --
> > make it as big as possible.
>
> Isn't that essentially what it does?

It depends -- in FAI it does not have to take other windows into
account. So the question is -- in GAI should it ignore the rest of
the siblings, or not. I rather opt -- for not ignoring, which
translates "the possible -- to the extent the siblings let you".

Cheers,