Fwd: Adding "group/split" button to the decoration

Maciej Pilichowski bluedzins at wp.pl
Thu Jul 9 08:54:52 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 08 July 2009 18:15:13 Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> > * convert app into container
> > * oh, I have container now
> > * add another app to this container (using 1st button)
> >
> > vs.
> >
> > * add another app to this "container" (using 1st button;
> > container actually will be created on fly)
> >
> > I doubt the first scenario is productive, will be often used,
> > thus I think adding button only for this is too expensive.
>
> Hmm... but then, what container type do you get?

By default GAI. You could change this in SS (default) or you could
change it in the hollow pane (just an idea).

> Maybe it is better
> that leaves have only 'new container' button (which lets you pick N
> windows and change type while picking, as previously described),
> and containers have only 'add a window' button.

So basically you agree with me, because this button could be one
button. New container and add a window in those cases would lead to
the same results.

> What about "virtual groups", do you think that is a good idea or
> not? I lean toward "not", seems like it has potential to be
> confusing. (Well, unless implemented as 'undo WM action' ;-).)

I don't what virtual group is and what is the purpose of it. I've read
Diego explanations but still I don't get it.

Cheers,