Fwd: Adding "group/split" button to the decoration

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jul 9 18:35:13 CEST 2009

Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 July 2009 18:15:13 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>>> * convert app into container
>>> * oh, I have container now
>>> * add another app to this container (using 1st button)
>>>
>>> vs.
>>>
>>> * add another app to this "container" (using 1st button;
>>> container actually will be created on fly)
>>>
>>> I doubt the first scenario is productive, will be often used,
>>> thus I think adding button only for this is too expensive.
>> Hmm... but then, what container type do you get?
>
> By default GAI. You could change this in SS (default) or you could
> change it in the hollow pane (just an idea).
>
>> Maybe it is better
>> that leaves have only 'new container' button (which lets you pick N
>> windows and change type while picking, as previously described),
>> and containers have only 'add a window' button.
>
> So basically you agree with me, because this button could be one
> button. New container and add a window in those cases would lead to
> the same results.

Yes, I think so.

>> What about "virtual groups", do you think that is a good idea or
>> not? I lean toward "not", seems like it has potential to be
>> confusing. (Well, unless implemented as 'undo WM action' ;-).)
>
> I don't what virtual group is and what is the purpose of it. I've read
> Diego explanations but still I don't get it.

As I understand it, it functions like FAI but without the geometry of
container. That is, windows are grouped (from technical side, they are
in a container), but they are drawn as if floating on root window.

I can see some uses, but I'm also not 100% convinced.

--
Matthew
child: Do not try to read the .sig. That is impossible. Instead you must