Summary of NWI -- the page

Maciej Pilichowski bluedzins at wp.pl
Fri Aug 21 17:56:32 CEST 2009

On Friday 21 August 2009 00:15:48 Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> >> Only if it is launched as "satellite" of kmail
> >> would close-document close the window.
> >
> > Hmm, how would you tell by looking at the window how this app was
> > launched?
>
> Good question :-). One thought is to change the window title to
> differentiate, e.g.
>
> "Compose Mail" -> stand-alone
> "Compose Mail - KMail" -> launched by kmail
> "Compose Mail - Kontact" -> launched by kontact

I think such design is too complex. Please note, that you are putting
responsibility for managing at user --> bad.

> >> Maybe we should just say 'close document can never close a
> >> window'. But then it must also be allowed to not exist (e.g.
> >> kopete windows).
> >
> > I didn't fully get it (I see exist=exit).
>
> 'close document' doesn't make much sense for a kopete chat window
> unless it closes the window. So if 'close document' cannot close a
> window, such kopete window should not have such an action.

Yes, even if it could, having two actions which do the same, but are
labeled differently would be odd.

> Heh. At $DAYJOB I use IM mostly as an alternative to shouting
> across (or getting up from my desk and walking down) the hall ;-).

You are loosing the opportunity to have some break/sport :-)) I prefer
getting up, but that's just me :-D

Cheers,