Summary of NWI -- the page

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Aug 21 00:15:48 CEST 2009

(Hey, look, I'm finally replying! :-) Sorry for the delay...)

Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> On Friday 10 July 2009 18:34:37 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> To be clear, if it is launched stand-alone, it /should/ stay after
>> close-document.
>
> I agree.
>
>> Only if it is launched as "satellite" of kmail
>> would close-document close the window.
>
> Hmm, how would you tell by looking at the window how this app was
> launched?

Good question :-). One thought is to change the window title to
differentiate, e.g.

"Compose Mail" -> stand-alone
"Compose Mail - KMail" -> launched by kmail
"Compose Mail - Kontact" -> launched by kontact

>> Maybe we should just say 'close document can never close a window'.
>> But then it must also be allowed to not exist (e.g. kopete
>> windows).
>
> I didn't fully get it (I see exist=exit).

'close document' doesn't make much sense for a kopete chat window unless
it closes the window. So if 'close document' cannot close a window, such
kopete window should not have such an action.

>> Do I recall right you have never used kopete? (Any IM client? How
>> about konversation?)
>
> Kopete, konv. twice maybe in my life. Polish IM gadu-gadu for about 2
> months, daily. I am done with IM apps, I only use it when the other
> person is insisting to use it instead of mail.

Heh. At $DAYJOB I use IM mostly as an alternative to shouting across (or
getting up from my desk and walking down) the hall ;-). But also to ask
quick questions when mail is overkill. It's basically the same use as IRC.

--
Matthew
Don't use a hippo to... what was I saying?