NWI - FAI for non-root containers

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 29 23:37:30 CEST 2009

Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 April 2009 18:37:17 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>
>>> a) show scrollbars for container
>>> b) resize the embedded app
>>> c) "push" the app so it will fit into new size
>>>
>>> I opt for (c), it would be very similar to res.change in desktop.
>> TBH my initial reaction is "a" (how 'Doze does it, anyway) though
>> that is actually somewhat annoying. I think "c" (and "b" if needed)
>> would also be okay,
>
> a vs. b+c are rather contrary :-)
>
>> but what about moving apps outside the
>> container; is that simply not allowed?
>
> Outside in such way that it is still parent (container) and the
> application is no longer visible. I'll say it should be forbidden:

Yes, but...

> a) because it is forbidden for desktop, no strong argument, but...

...this isn't entirely true (although I didn't find a way to break it
with keyboard and mouse, I think a window can ask to be placed
off-screen. Whether this should be allowed or not might be a separate
debate :-) ). But for discussion, let's assume it is true.

Anyway I'm not strongly opinionated on the matter. (Though... scroll
bars in root... hmm, the much-wanted "virtual desktop"? :-) )

> b) if we agree on some kind of tearing off applications it will be a
> bit odd (I think?) to make the difference between tearing off (app
> visually and technically outside, parent changed) and moving out (app
> outside only technically, visually hidden, parent not changed).

Yes, I see where you're coming from. TBH my biggest argument for scroll
bars is simply "that's how it works now", not so much that I necessarily
feel it is better. In fact scroll bars in MDI can be darned annoying.

Like I said, my "initial reaction" is scroll bars. That's not saying I
think it's /best/ :-).

For writing summaries, I'd say write as the recommendation what you
think is best, and mention the alternative in case others want to
discuss further.

--
Matthew
This is not a sig. I am too lazy to steal one, perhaps you could loan me