KDE4 HIG issue: search/filter bars and the clear button

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Mar 1 08:22:24 CET 2006

hi...

in many kde apps we have search/filter bars in windows that narrow down the
entries in a list or search through items.

often there is a little button with an "x" in it to the left (or right in RTL)
of the label that clears the field. this is obviously inspired by the same
button in konqi's location bar.

however, we don't have these in front of any other label nor are they in front
of all search labels (ranging from places i've had undue influence such as
kicker and superkaramba's Add Applet dialogs to similar but not identical
search gui's such as konqi's search bar or kmail's search dialog).

my personal concern with them is that while they make the task of clearing the
label a single click event: it doesn't expose unique functionality, it's not
overly apparent what it is supposed to do and it adds more clutter to already
fairly complex UIs. on desktop systems that don't have it, i don't hear
complaints about it; and it's not a feature i hear many people talking about
appreciatively.

we should, however, get this consistent across KDE. right now it simply isn't.

thoughts?

--
Aaron J. Seigo