KDE4 HIG issue: search/filter bars and the clear button

Florian Graessle holehan at gmx.de
Wed Mar 1 09:40:28 CET 2006

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> in many kde apps we have search/filter bars in windows that narrow down the
> entries in a list or search through items.
>
> often there is a little button with an "x" in it to the left (or right in RTL)
> of the label that clears the field. this is obviously inspired by the same
> button in konqi's location bar.
>
> [...]
>
> thoughts?

I'll add some thoughts that occured to my mind while redesigning the
search bar for konversation:

Repeatedly I've thought about using a "clear" button on the right side
next to the filter line. I've always come to the conclusion that it
could easily be mistaken for a "go" or "input" button - with disastrous
consequences. I also thought about generally leaving it out, but that
would be the wrong way, too, I suppose. Especially for filters where one
is e.g. supposed to further browse the filtered list with the mouse, I
think it essential to offer a way to easily undo the filtering with one
click and not three clicks+a key stroke at best.

Given the fact that searching/filtering is very likely to become more
and more important for our desktop environment it's vital to find a
sound solution to the problem. Maybe the OSX way is pointing into the
right direction? There the "clear" button is embedded inside the
search/filter line like this: [          x]. The only gripe I have with
it is that it could possibly not be used inside e.g. the location bar
where that position is already used for the security icon. But I am not
sure how important it is to have a clear button in this special case at
all.

Florian