HIG Wiki convertions

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Sat Jul 23 22:29:10 CEST 2005

I looked at the xmls and the wiki formats and basically the wiki is a
really really simple subset from what the docbook xmls allow.  For that
reason alone the docbook should be leading at all times.

This means we should not convert from docbook to wiki and back again on an
automated basis since that will loose a lot of information.

I did find it very usefull to see the already done text in the wiki and I
think its also quite usefull to edit text in the wiki if you are
proofreading or whatever.   Thats basically what the wiki is for, isn't
it?

For this reason I created a little application that read the docbook xml
and outputs a wiki text.  It definitely looses a lot of info that can't
be represented in a wiki; and I did not bother to write a converter for
tables.
Basically my goal was to fill the wiki.

We probably want to do that occasionally when the docbook is updated in
svn.

For the merge from wiki changes to docbook; I can't come up with a better
alternative then to collect diffs as reported on the wiki
http://test.openusability.org/wiki_ou/index.php/Special:Recentchanges
and either manually copy the changes to the docbook; or replace the whole
docbook partition with the wiki contents (adding markup manually).
Where the latter is probably only usefull for new or rewritten pages.

See attached the auto-converted wiki-texts if you would like to update the
wiki with the latest version.

--
Thomas Zander