hig work

seele@obso1337.org seele at obso1337.org
Thu Jul 28 14:35:32 CEST 2005

the reorganization is fine

i think the discussion about the radio buttons was in kde-usability-devel,
when i find the emails ill send them to you.  i dislike radio buttons in
general because theyre easily confused or misinterpreted. if its necessary
to control modes from the toolbar, a drop/pull-down menu is more effective
and more easily understood.

some of the examples of radio buttons being used was in kmail and one of
the drawing/art apps (dont remember which one).  some were in the
traditional format of the round little button with some options, and
others were toggled icons of which only one could be selected.  i think
the issue was the toggle icons looked "prettier" than a pull-down so it
was hard to give up.

toggle icons depicting a mode is a difficult way to display them because
toggled icons are often used to show "checkable" options from the
application menus. eg: a check next to bold in a format menu is a toggled
icon in the toolbar, easily confused with a modal button.

we can bring this up for discussion again if you think its necessary, or
we can just eliminate the radio buttons without having to fight with
anyone and let them deal with the loss. there is enough evidence that
radio buttons present a problem.

cheers,

celeste