recent osdl desktop architects thread

Celeste Lyn Paul celeste at kde.org
Tue Dec 13 17:22:57 CET 2005

http://lists.osdl.org/pipermail/desktop_architects/2005-December/000389.html

i apologize, i know the thread is lengthy, but if you have time to read
through it, please do so i think its very important.

the usability flaming started shortly after linus torvalds put a plug in
for kde and bashed gnome for being too simple.

i think there is a serious misunderstanding of what usability is, how it
effects the user, and what we (usability engineers) do.  although the kde
developers are very open and welcoming to usability, this kind of
sentiment could severely hinder progress of usability in other oss
software.

i think we, as oss usability volunteers, have a commitment to not only
make software more usable and better the user experience, but also educate
developers on usability and how it effects them as the developer, the
user, and the overall project itself.

calling users idiots, idiot proofing software, saying advanced users would
never touch good software, and then saying usability is a farce is a good
way to kill a project's public and corporate image.  why the hell would
you create software and not care about the user?  if youre writing it for
yourself and dont care about anyone else dont fucking publish it and make
it available for public consumption. and if you do, dont whine when people
tell you whats wrong with it.

/rant

*sigh*

any thoughts on the desktop architect's mailing list thread?

---
Celeste Lyn Paul
KDE Usability Project
usability.kde.org