[kde-usa] [kde-promo] KDE U.S. NPO

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Wed Mar 7 13:02:57 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 12:45, Jeff Mitchell <mitchell at kde.org> wrote:
> The Board and Claudia and I have been working on this with the SFC for
> probably about 2 years now. We've been wanting to go with the SFC
> because it's actually extremely difficult to run a legitimate non-profit
> according to IRS rules given tight restrictions on funding sources/types
> -- not to mention mountains of paperwork and required in-person meetings.
>
> For a while things were held up because we wanted to do things a certain
> way and the SFC was debating how to support that (basically, make the
> U.S. entity subordinate to the e.V.). When we decided to drop that
> requirement things theoretically got easier, except then the SFC was
> having issues because they were in the process of trying to work out
> changes to their funding model.
>
> Claudia was, I think, the last person to talk to Brad Kuhn (SFC guy)
> about this. Claudia, do you have any status information?

I think that was at FOSDEM. I was there too. I only quickly talked
with Brad and the info I took home was that the SFC currently has no
capacity to take on new projects and is working on changing that.

Cheers
Lydia

KDE Community Working Group / KDE e.V. board member
http://kde.org - http://open-advice.org