[kde-usa] [kde-promo] KDE U.S. NPO

Claudia Rauch rauch at kde.org
Thu Mar 8 11:22:08 UTC 2012

On 7 March 2012 14:01, Lydia Pintscher <lydia at kde.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 12:45, Jeff Mitchell <mitchell at kde.org> wrote:
>> The Board and Claudia and I have been working on this with the SFC for
>> probably about 2 years now. We've been wanting to go with the SFC
>> because it's actually extremely difficult to run a legitimate non-profit
>> according to IRS rules given tight restrictions on funding sources/types
>> -- not to mention mountains of paperwork and required in-person meetings.
>>
>> For a while things were held up because we wanted to do things a certain
>> way and the SFC was debating how to support that (basically, make the
>> U.S. entity subordinate to the e.V.). When we decided to drop that
>> requirement things theoretically got easier, except then the SFC was
>> having issues because they were in the process of trying to work out
>> changes to their funding model.
>>
>> Claudia was, I think, the last person to talk to Brad Kuhn (SFC guy)
>> about this. Claudia, do you have any status information?
>
> I think that was at FOSDEM. I was there too. I only quickly talked
> with Brad and the info I took home was that the SFC currently has no
> capacity to take on new projects and is working on changing that.

That's correct. Lydia and me had a chat with Brad at FOSDEM and he
said they don't have the capacities at the moment and also, there's
still an open question of whether we would want to pay the  increased
fees the SFC is currently charging for the service.

--

Claudia Rauch
Business Manager

KDE e.V. is a German Verein registered at the Amtsgericht Tübingen
(VR1301). Its president is Cornelius Schumacher. For more information
please see http://ev.kde.org, and http://kde.org/