[kde-usa] [kde-promo] KDE U.S. NPO

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Wed Mar 7 11:45:03 UTC 2012

On 3/7/2012 5:40 AM, Lydia Pintscher wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 11:31, heathmatlock <heathmatlock at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't think KDE would have a problem being accepted by the IRS as a
>> charitable organization, hackerspaces are much harder to classify and
>> are accepted regularly. I would think determining the organization's
>> structure is a bigger problem, but I suppose it couldn't hurt to at
>> some point come up with reasons why KDE deserves to be considered a
>> charitable organization.
>
> Yes we all think it _shouldn't_ be a problem to get KDE accepted. Fact
> is other project (also projects that are charitable in more than just
> the Free Software way) had huge problems and we should be prepared for
> them ;-)

The Board and Claudia and I have been working on this with the SFC for
probably about 2 years now. We've been wanting to go with the SFC
because it's actually extremely difficult to run a legitimate non-profit
according to IRS rules given tight restrictions on funding sources/types
-- not to mention mountains of paperwork and required in-person meetings.

For a while things were held up because we wanted to do things a certain
way and the SFC was debating how to support that (basically, make the
U.S. entity subordinate to the e.V.). When we decided to drop that
requirement things theoretically got easier, except then the SFC was
having issues because they were in the process of trying to work out
changes to their funding model.

Claudia was, I think, the last person to talk to Brad Kuhn (SFC guy)
about this. Claudia, do you have any status information?

Thanks,
Jeff