Can someone take a look?

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sun Mar 31 17:13:12 UTC 2013

On Sunday 31 March 2013 18:34:51 Felix Rohrbach wrote:
> Am 31.03.2013 18:18, schrieb Martin Graesslin:
> > On Sunday 31 March 2013 17:43:08 Felix Rohrbach wrote:
> >> I may be wrong
> >> here, but I think good bug reports do help KDE and even make the life of
> >> the developers easier.
> >
> > yes good bug reports make the life easier. But if there is one percent
> > good
> > bug reports among those I have to work through each day, it would be much.
> >
> >> And if you have one good bug report about one
> >> error, you may get less bad bug reports about that error.
> >
> > No sorry, there is no correlation between good bug reports and not getting
> > bad bug reports. That starts with language. A bad bug report is "KWin
> > slow" a good bug report is "Performance regression in Lanczos Shader with
> > Mesa 9.1 on Intel IvyBridge". The user who wants to report the "KWin
> > slow" will never find the good one. So to say a good bug report makes it
> > even more likely that more bad reports will follow. That's one of the
> > reasons why I would vote for a closed bug tracker.
> >
> >> You are more likely to get good bug reports by people who do report
> >> regularly and/or who know their system and/or who already wrote software
> >> themselves. But I think exactly those stop to write bug reports if they
> >> feel ignored.
> >
> > No, that I doubt, because if the bug report is good it will be fixed or
> > worked on. A bug which has steps to reproduce can be considered as fixed.
> > If it doesn't happen then there is a good reason the reporter will
> > understand.
> I wish it was like that. Maybe it's for KWin like that, but I had
> different experiences with for example plasma.
plasma is a very bad example. For plasma the problem is that they are drowned
in bug reports (>1300 open bugs). As I wrote we need to fix the root problem,
not the symptoms.

> As a side note: I think sometimes devs work to resolve bug reports, that
> takes a bit more time, but the user does not notice it. Maybe it would
> be a good idea to add a note to the bug report "I'm working on it"?
Well that's what "assigned to" implies.

> > As a matter of fact I know the people who report good bugs. When a new bug
> > comes in and I see a familiar name I connect to a person who I know for
> > reporting good bugs, the report directly goes into highest priority
> > category.>
> >> So all I'm asking is to respect the user's point of view in the
> >> discussion, and that includes not to blame the user for working around a
> >> broken system.
> >
> > This has nothing to do with blaming users. It's a matter of keeping the
> > system and the developers healthy. We have a bug tracker for a reason and
> > a developer mailing list for reasons. We separate them for reasons.
>
> What would you do if ask multiple times on a bug report, but no
> developer seems to hear it? Maybe the assinged person stopped working on
> KDE, or it is assigned to a mailing list no one is reading.
See David's mail. That is in general a problem we don't have a solution yet
and I don't have an answer to it.

Cheers
Martin