Can someone take a look?

Felix Rohrbach fxrh at gmx.de
Sun Mar 31 16:34:51 UTC 2013

Am 31.03.2013 18:18, schrieb Martin Graesslin:
> On Sunday 31 March 2013 17:43:08 Felix Rohrbach wrote:
>> I may be wrong
>> here, but I think good bug reports do help KDE and even make the life of
>> the developers easier.
> yes good bug reports make the life easier. But if there is one percent good
> bug reports among those I have to work through each day, it would be much.
>> And if you have one good bug report about one
>> error, you may get less bad bug reports about that error.
> No sorry, there is no correlation between good bug reports and not getting bad
> bug reports. That starts with language. A bad bug report is "KWin slow" a good
> bug report is "Performance regression in Lanczos Shader with Mesa 9.1 on Intel
> IvyBridge". The user who wants to report the "KWin slow" will never find the
> good one. So to say a good bug report makes it even more likely that more bad
> reports will follow. That's one of the reasons why I would vote for a closed
> bug tracker.
>>
>> You are more likely to get good bug reports by people who do report
>> regularly and/or who know their system and/or who already wrote software
>> themselves. But I think exactly those stop to write bug reports if they
>> feel ignored.
> No, that I doubt, because if the bug report is good it will be fixed or worked
> on. A bug which has steps to reproduce can be considered as fixed. If it
> doesn't happen then there is a good reason the reporter will understand.

I wish it was like that. Maybe it's for KWin like that, but I had
different experiences with for example plasma.

As a side note: I think sometimes devs work to resolve bug reports, that
takes a bit more time, but the user does not notice it. Maybe it would
be a good idea to add a note to the bug report "I'm working on it"?
> As a matter of fact I know the people who report good bugs. When a new bug
> comes in and I see a familiar name I connect to a person who I know for
> reporting good bugs, the report directly goes into highest priority category.
>>
>> So all I'm asking is to respect the user's point of view in the
>> discussion, and that includes not to blame the user for working around a
>> broken system.
> This has nothing to do with blaming users. It's a matter of keeping the system
> and the developers healthy. We have a bug tracker for a reason and a developer
> mailing list for reasons. We separate them for reasons.

What would you do if ask multiple times on a bug report, but no
developer seems to hear it? Maybe the assinged person stopped working on
KDE, or it is assigned to a mailing list no one is reading.