Can someone take a look?

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Sun Mar 31 16:45:16 UTC 2013

On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 5:18 PM, Martin Graesslin <mgraesslin at kde.org>wrote:

> On Sunday 31 March 2013 17:43:08 Felix Rohrbach wrote:
> > I may be wrong
> > here, but I think good bug reports do help KDE and even make the life of
> > the developers easier.
> yes good bug reports make the life easier. But if there is one percent good
> bug reports among those I have to work through each day, it would be much.
> > And if you have one good bug report about one
> > error, you may get less bad bug reports about that error.
> No sorry, there is no correlation between good bug reports and not getting
> bad
> bug reports. That starts with language. A bad bug report is "KWin slow" a
> good
> bug report is "Performance regression in Lanczos Shader with Mesa 9.1 on
> Intel
> IvyBridge". The user who wants to report the "KWin slow" will never find
> the
> good one. So to say a good bug report makes it even more likely that more
> bad
> reports will follow. That's one of the reasons why I would vote for a
> closed
> bug tracker.
> >
> > You are more likely to get good bug reports by people who do report
> > regularly and/or who know their system and/or who already wrote software
> > themselves. But I think exactly those stop to write bug reports if they
> > feel ignored.
> No, that I doubt, because if the bug report is good it will be fixed or
> worked
> on. A bug which has steps to reproduce can be considered as fixed. If it
> doesn't happen then there is a good reason the reporter will understand.

The bug that started this whole thread does have (fairly) good steps to
reproduce.

There just isn't anyone working on keditbookmarks (there was one commit in
2012) we need good bug reports AND a developer team on that product.

I think a more productive topic of conversations from now on will be:
 "how do we detect when a product isn't being actively maintained, and how
do we deal with bugs then?".

I think it's in these situations where people have a more legitimate reason
to post to a mailing list in order to reach a wider audience, and it's a
symptom of a bigger problem that we need to look into.

David