Can someone take a look?

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sun Mar 31 16:18:01 UTC 2013

On Sunday 31 March 2013 17:43:08 Felix Rohrbach wrote:
> I may be wrong
> here, but I think good bug reports do help KDE and even make the life of
> the developers easier.
yes good bug reports make the life easier. But if there is one percent good
bug reports among those I have to work through each day, it would be much.
> And if you have one good bug report about one
> error, you may get less bad bug reports about that error.
No sorry, there is no correlation between good bug reports and not getting bad
bug reports. That starts with language. A bad bug report is "KWin slow" a good
bug report is "Performance regression in Lanczos Shader with Mesa 9.1 on Intel
IvyBridge". The user who wants to report the "KWin slow" will never find the
good one. So to say a good bug report makes it even more likely that more bad
reports will follow. That's one of the reasons why I would vote for a closed
bug tracker.

> You are more likely to get good bug reports by people who do report
> regularly and/or who know their system and/or who already wrote software
> themselves. But I think exactly those stop to write bug reports if they
> feel ignored.
No, that I doubt, because if the bug report is good it will be fixed or worked
on. A bug which has steps to reproduce can be considered as fixed. If it
doesn't happen then there is a good reason the reporter will understand.

As a matter of fact I know the people who report good bugs. When a new bug
comes in and I see a familiar name I connect to a person who I know for
reporting good bugs, the report directly goes into highest priority category.

> So all I'm asking is to respect the user's point of view in the
> discussion, and that includes not to blame the user for working around a
> broken system.
This has nothing to do with blaming users. It's a matter of keeping the system
and the developers healthy. We have a bug tracker for a reason and a developer
mailing list for reasons. We separate them for reasons.

And as you mention respect for the user. It's also respect for all the users
who don't take it to the mailing list to ignore bugs send to the mailing list.

Cheers
Martin