Testing minor releases

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Wed Feb 13 13:29:43 UTC 2013

Hi all,

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 1:21 PM, David Edmundson
<david at davidedmundson.co.uk> wrote:

> Questions:
>   - How much is it actually a problem? Is there a way to quantify how many
> regressions come in during minor releases?

I think it is a big problem, and from the user perspective it sheds a
bad light on the point releases as those are not sufficiently tested.

>   - How many user's do you think we could get?

Certainly many more than those willing to build from master. It would
rpobably get use some more regular testers.

>   - Is it worth pushing for this as opposed to pushing for user's to run
> latest master? Assuming we can really only put our effort in one direction.

Totally. and there is a bigger chance to get users with the stable
branch than with master. I for one would run this as my working
system.

>   - Are there any other ways we can do this?

I don't know other distributions, maybe Gentoo has an easy way to
provide that as well?

Regards, Myriam
http://www.fsfe.org