Testing minor releases

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Wed Feb 13 13:22:32 UTC 2013

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 12:21:14 +0000, David Edmundson wrote:
> There is a current thread on the release team mailing list "Better
> testing of tagged tars" during the massive email thread the topic of
> testing the minor releases comes up. There is a supposed problem in
> KDE that we have people running stable releases and we have people
> running the very latest master code.
>  What we don't have is people running the latest code from the 4.10
> branch which makes the minor releases effectively untested when they
> are released. This can introduce regressions and other problems.

>> Questions:
>>   - How much is it actually a problem? Is there a way to quantify
>> how many regressions come in during minor releases?

I think it is a problem.

I am personally building the KDE/4.10 branch of most of KDE SC right
now, but at some point I will have to jump to master.

>>   -
> 's do you think we could get?
>   - Is it worth pushing for this as opposed to pushing for user's to
> run latest master? Assuming we can really only put our effort in one
> direction.

Yes I think it's worth it.

>    - Are there any other ways we can do this?

Not exactly related, but I would be in favor of:
- Requiring reviews for all code going in the stable branch.

- Having a freeze one week before each minor release. During this
freeze,
   all fixes would have to go through the release-team.

Aurélien