Testing minor releases

Anne-Marie Mahfouf annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr
Wed Feb 13 13:09:31 UTC 2013

Hi,

> Questions:
> - How much is it actually a problem? Is there a way to quantify how
> many regressions come in during minor releases?
I don't know about this

> - How many user's do you think we could get?
With proper communication, probably enough to make it worth.

> - Is it worth pushing for this as opposed to pushing for user's to
> run latest master? Assuming we can really only put our effort in one
> direction.
I think it is worth it especially for the 3 first minor releases when master is only in the making and not really worth testing.

> - Are there any other ways we can do this?
- One thing I noted is that some regressions in stable come from devels pushing things they should not push. So I would suggest more information to devels about the 4.10 branch (some new devels backport stuff they should not). Not sure how to do this.
- Reinforce the review process. Albert recently sent a mail saying that lots of patches stay unreviewed on reviewboard which is true. It's bad for people doing the effort to make a patch and it's bad for KDE because things are not fixed. I'd like the reviews to be effectively tried and not only the patch approved by the look of it.
- Make the devels aware of Jenkins and have them check if stuff still builds as expected after committing (it happened that build problems were big problems in some releases, even minor!) I don't really know about Jenkins but it seems to me that devels are not really using it.

Best regards,

Anne-Marie