Testing minor releases

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Feb 13 12:40:04 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 13 February 2013 12:21:14 David Edmundson wrote:
> Questions:
>   - How much is it actually a problem?
For me it's a huge problem. I'm quite afraid of pushing to branch at all
because it's not tested (KWin is special in that regard we may never ever have
regressions). In the end it means that users have to wait half a year for a
(trivial) bug fix.
>   Is there a way to quantify how many
> regressions come in during minor releases?
with our current structure we cannot quantify it - bugzilla doesn't allow to
search for something like that (keyword regression is too broad, if it's a bug
for 4.10.1 does it mean it's a regression compared to 4.10.0 or to 4.9?)

I can give you one example of a really bad regression we had in a minor last
year: BUG 306260

In category from 1 to 10 in how bad that was (10 being the worst one can think
of) it is a 12 (to show that it is not a typo: twelve). If the user would have
tested the stable branch we would have not released with the problem. The bug
got reported about an hour after the release.
>   - How many user's do you think we could get?
Difficult to say, but we don't need many. If we can get the developers to
provide information to the QA team about where changes have been done it
should be easy to have few people running it.

In fact we could even just use bugzilla information (requires of course that
devs only push for bugs in stable).
>   - Is it worth pushing for this as opposed to pushing for user's to run
> latest master? Assuming we can really only put our effort in one direction.
I think it's not mutual exclusive. There's probably a user base who would be
willing to test, but doesn't want to run latest master (understandable).

I would suggest to set up a blog post and ask whether users would be
interested in running it. If we get let's say at least 20 it would be worth
the effort.
>   - Are there any other ways we can do this?
get also other distris to do that :-)

--
Martin Gräßlin