4.9 Beta Phase is approaching: what needs to be done?

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu May 10 13:25:43 UTC 2012

On Thursday 10 May 2012 13:36:34 yahoo-pier_andreit wrote:
> an alternative could be to insert a language flag, like the status or
> product(, where can be inserted the language, this can be done by the
> submitter or the triager, if can argue which language is used otherwise
> the unknown can be used, this can be useful for somebody who want help,
> he can filter for example the Italian language and add a translation of
> it and change the language to english, or filter the unknown to find the
> proper language, what do you think about?
To put it quite simple: a bug reported in German, which is my native tongue,
is completely useless to me. It provides me with names from the user interface
which I have never heard of and which I don't understand. My component gets
about 3 bugs reported a day. That's already quite some work and I cannot take
care of different languages.

It also provides quite some issues as I noticed in my component. Most of our
developers are German so it would be tempting to allow German bug reports but
that would exclude the non German speaking developers.

Concerning translators it doesn't become better. Just think about it: I don't
understand the translation from English into my native tongue, how should I be
able to understand the translation of the translation?

A bug report needs to be precise and condensed. Any additional text makes it
more difficult for me. The longer I need to read a bug report the more
unlikely it is that I will consider fixing it. It's bad I know but there are
more good bug reports than I can fix without taking care of bad ones.

Cheers
Martin