4.9 Beta Phase is approaching: what needs to be done?

Anne-Marie Mahfouf annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr
Wed May 9 14:28:02 UTC 2012

On 05/08/2012 03:46 PM, David Edmundson wrote:
>>> Do we have a more advanced plan on testing? Should we have a checklist
>>> of "apps to check"?
>> My proposal was to have 2 sorts of beta testing:
>> - informal testing where testers install the beta and use it as they wish
>> (they would probably use mostly apps they normally use) which was what was
>> done in previous releases
>> - specific apps to test in a more thorough way (going through all the GUI
>> elements, trying all the settings,...). This would need a list of proposed
>> apps. Edu apps could be included there as I know devels are quite respondent
>> to bugs. I was also thinking about common applets. Not apps like KMail or
>> Konqueror which are too big. Focus on new apps/applets for this release.
>> KCMs also are good candidates. So it's already quite a list. Are we having
>> some IRC based "bug squishing days" if so do we want to propose some dates
>> for that.I think we need to have people on IRC in #kde-quality and #kde-bugs
>> on May 29th, 30th and maybe we can set the next week-end as formal "bug
>> week-end" (that would be 2 and 3rd June)
> I'll get a list from plasma of any applet that's either added or gone
> through a massive conversion to QML (effectively rewritten).
> I'm not aware of any "new apps" but maybe we could use anything marked
> as "Done" in this list
> http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.9_Feature_Plan  as a basis for
> other things to add to the testing list?
>
> We should collate a list somewhere. Wiki or etherpad?

Maybe wiki so testers could then put their names on what they are
working on. Myriam, what do you think?

New apps:
In KDE-Edu we have Pairs as a new application (for kids) and Rocs (graph
Theory, thus specialized) was quite improved.
Color schemes:
Another issue that came up right now this afternoon on IRC was testing
apps/applets with different color schemes (dark ones for example).

Anne-Marie