4.9 Beta Phase is approaching: what needs to be done?

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Thu May 10 11:52:27 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 12:36 PM, yahoo-pier_andreit
<pier_andreit at yahoo.it> wrote:
> cut....
>

>> I wrote a blog about that as well:
>>
>> http://blogs.fsfe.org/myriam/2011/10/when-is-a-bug-report-useful/ it
>> has quite a few links at the bottom that are useful.
>>
>> Regards, Myriam
>

> dear myriam, I red your blog, as I haven't been able to write in it I tell
> you here, about this:
>
>> 3. The subject and comment must be in English…
>

> That excludes most international users as possible bug reporters. I know the
> developers cannot do much a respect, but its a pity.
>
>    myriam says:
>    20/10/2011 at 1:13 pm
>
>    Well, we simply can’t change that. Also, a user must be able to give
> feedback in English. As I said, English is the language most used in
> computing and all developers can read and understand it.
>
> an alternative could be to insert a language flag, like the status or
> product(, where can be inserted the language, this can be done by the
> submitter or the triager, if can argue which language is used otherwise the
> unknown can be used, this can be useful for somebody who want help, he can
> filter for example the Italian language and add a translation of it and
> change the language to english, or filter the unknown to find the proper
> language, what do you think about?

Given the general usefulness of most bug comments, and that we're not
100% complete on translations in KDE software I can't see this ever
being practical.
We already have a triaging problem and having bugs that most
developers/triagers can't read isn't going to help.  Especially as
developers need to communicate back and forth with a user even if just
to say "can you confirm this patch fixed it".

> one more, is possible to add some numbers about the time? something like :
> 240 average hours to solve a bug
> 350 average hours to be contacted by a developer after have subitted a bug
> 25 average hours to triage a bug

Are these real stats?
These change so much product to product, and bug to bug. We've had
some bugs open for years, and I've closed some bugs in under a minute
from being reported. Unless they look really favourable I imagine
these stats will just put people off reporting. It may be interesting
to try and keep these stats for everything generated from our KDE4.9
official testing though.

Dave