KTp as part of Plasma? (was: Re: Port complete \o/ )

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Feb 2 23:51:50 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 10:40 PM, Thomas Pfeiffer
<thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org> wrote:
> On Sunday 01 February 2015 20:46:14 Martin Klapetek wrote:
>
>> Applications, sure. But personally I remain unconvinced that an IM client
>> is more important than a file manager, picture viewer or text editor, which
>> are all not part of Plasma-the-package-that's-being-shipped.
>>
>> Regardless of what's stated in the vision, I think this should be viewed
>> from "the other side", from the Plasma side. And that would be a "why
>> does Plasma have IM client and not a basic file manager or picture
>> viewer" question, so imo in makes little sense to go with Plasma...
>
> I agree that this discrepancy is weird, but I am fully convinced that Plasma
> _should_ ship with basic applications. GNOME does that. XFCE does that.
> LXDE/LXQt do that. Could it be that Plasma is the only major desktop
> environment that doesn't ship basic applications with it?
>
> I'm okay with putting KTp in Applications for the time being, but the goal
> should be to either bundle existing applications with Plasma or create new
> ones for it (I'm thinking of the likes of Jungle and Koko and Bangarang, and
> hopefully a simpler but more visually pleasing QML file browser at some
> point).

Let me defend Martin's point of view now.

As we discussed not that long ago in kde-promo (I think), in my
opionion, there's missing terminology anyway. Plasma is far too many
things: a framework, a shell toolkit, a desktop, etc.

I identify 2 colliding concepts:
- KDE Telepathy is more of a service than an application. It's, by
definition, the integration of a system service (Telepathy) into the
Plasma shell.
- Plasma developers are the people who make the shell.

We need to find a way to make these both compatible. I'm unsure how, I
thought it was a problem solved, maybe not.

Aleix