KTp as part of Plasma? (was: Re: Port complete \o/ )

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Mon Feb 2 22:13:45 UTC 2015

On Monday 02 February 2015 22:47:23 Martin Klapetek wrote:

> > I agree that this discrepancy is weird, but I am fully convinced that
> > Plasma
> > _should_ ship with basic applications. GNOME does that. XFCE does that.
> > LXDE/LXQt do that. Could it be that Plasma is the only major desktop
> > environment that doesn't ship basic applications with it?
>
> Yes, probably. In the end it doesn't matter much to the end user as they
> will
> get a mix from the distro, so it seems like one bundle. Also, that's what
> the
> KDE SC used to be and what everybody wanted to run away from, mostly
> to communicate that the apps are _not tied_ to Plasma, iiuic.

And this is why there should be a clear distinction between KDE applications
and Plasma applications: A KDE application is one which may benefit slightly
from running within Plasma, but works perfectly well in any DE.
A Plasma application, on the other hand, was made with Plasma in mind. It may
work elsewhere, but we don't promise a good experience outside of Plasma.

This is a conscious decision a maintainer should make: If you're making a KDE
application, you have to make sure that it works well without Plasma. If
you'Re making a Plasma application, you don't have to care. Introducing a
runtime dependancy on Plasmashell? Why not, it's a Plasma application after
all!
That comes at the expense of reducing the size of your target audience, of
course.

> > I'm okay with putting KTp in Applications for the time being, but the goal
> > should be to either bundle existing applications with Plasma or create new
> > ones for it (I'm thinking of the likes of Jungle and Koko and Bangarang,
> > and
> > hopefully a simpler but more visually pleasing QML file browser at some
> > point).
>
> I suggest you raise that on kde-core-devel or plasma-devel as that's where
> it
> belongs. And get yourself a proper armor and maybe a jetpack too.

The VDG is taking a different approach: We'll approach individual
developers/projects to make awesome applications with them (one idea is to
name them "Breeze [something]", but that's not settled yet). If we succeed, we
present the whole set to the Plasma team and ask them if they want to ship
them with Plasma.
If we don't succeed, it's not worth the discussion anyway.