KTp as part of Plasma? (was: Re: Port complete \o/ )

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 21:47:23 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 10:40 PM, Thomas Pfeiffer <thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org>
wrote:

> On Sunday 01 February 2015 20:46:14 Martin Klapetek wrote:
>
> > Applications, sure. But personally I remain unconvinced that an IM client
> > is more important than a file manager, picture viewer or text editor,
> which
> > are all not part of Plasma-the-package-that's-being-shipped.
> >
> > Regardless of what's stated in the vision, I think this should be viewed
> > from "the other side", from the Plasma side. And that would be a "why
> > does Plasma have IM client and not a basic file manager or picture
> > viewer" question, so imo in makes little sense to go with Plasma...
>
> I agree that this discrepancy is weird, but I am fully convinced that
> Plasma
> _should_ ship with basic applications. GNOME does that. XFCE does that.
> LXDE/LXQt do that. Could it be that Plasma is the only major desktop
> environment that doesn't ship basic applications with it?

Yes, probably. In the end it doesn't matter much to the end user as they
will
get a mix from the distro, so it seems like one bundle. Also, that's what
the
KDE SC used to be and what everybody wanted to run away from, mostly
to communicate that the apps are _not tied_ to Plasma, iiuic.

> I'm okay with putting KTp in Applications for the time being, but the goal
> should be to either bundle existing applications with Plasma or create new
> ones for it (I'm thinking of the likes of Jungle and Koko and Bangarang,
> and
> hopefully a simpler but more visually pleasing QML file browser at some
> point).

I suggest you raise that on kde-core-devel or plasma-devel as that's where
it
belongs. And get yourself a proper armor and maybe a jetpack too.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer