KTp as part of Plasma? (was: Re: Port complete \o/ )

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Mon Feb 2 21:40:32 UTC 2015

On Sunday 01 February 2015 20:46:14 Martin Klapetek wrote:

> Applications, sure. But personally I remain unconvinced that an IM client
> is more important than a file manager, picture viewer or text editor, which
> are all not part of Plasma-the-package-that's-being-shipped.
>
> Regardless of what's stated in the vision, I think this should be viewed
> from "the other side", from the Plasma side. And that would be a "why
> does Plasma have IM client and not a basic file manager or picture
> viewer" question, so imo in makes little sense to go with Plasma...

I agree that this discrepancy is weird, but I am fully convinced that Plasma
_should_ ship with basic applications. GNOME does that. XFCE does that.
LXDE/LXQt do that. Could it be that Plasma is the only major desktop
environment that doesn't ship basic applications with it?

I'm okay with putting KTp in Applications for the time being, but the goal
should be to either bundle existing applications with Plasma or create new
ones for it (I'm thinking of the likes of Jungle and Koko and Bangarang, and
hopefully a simpler but more visually pleasing QML file browser at some
point).