Accounts handling in Plasma 5

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 16:05:04 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 5:50 PM, Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar at autistici.org>
wrote:

> On Wednesday 27 August 2014 17:35:20 Martin Klapetek wrote:
> > I'm still not sure what you're getting at...? If you set it up on Gnome
> > using Gnome UI for Accounts-SSO, the password will be stored in Gnome
> > keyring. The account would exist in Plasma, yes, but you would not have
> the
> > password available unless you'd run the Gnome keyring. Same goes the
> other
> > way around, KAccounts will store the password in KWallet, so unless you
> run
> > KWallet in Gnome, that KTp account won't work there.
>
> Ok, so KTp can only use accounts set up within KAccounts, not within
> Accounts-
> SSO-compatible systems in general?
> My - probably naive - understanding was that when I'm in GNOME and set up
> an
> account - e.g. a Google or Jabber account - within its GUI for
> Accounts-SSO,
> then KTp can use that account (the password being retrieved via
> gnome-keyring
> because it's Gnome's Accounts-SSO implementation) as well because it's
> stored
> in some cross-desktop Accounts-SSO database.
> That's how I imagine cross-desktop frameworks to work, but I might be
> completely off there.

Right, so the problem is the password storage. You can have the SSO
framework store it in its own database, then it would be properly
cross-desktop. But as long as everyone will keep saving the passwords to
the desktop-specific password storage, you won't be able to use it as a
true cross-desktop framework.

Fwiw, Telepathy is in the exact same situation. It's a cross-desktop
framework and the created accounts (currently, using our ktp kcm) are
shared cross-desktop, but since Telepathy uses external storage for the
passwords (KWallet in our case), those accounts would not work in the very
same fashion (eg. in Gnome unless you'd have KWallet running there).

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer