Accounts handling in Plasma 5

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Wed Aug 27 17:14:06 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 27 August 2014 18:05:04 Martin Klapetek wrote:
> Right, so the problem is the password storage. You can have the SSO
> framework store it in its own database, then it would be properly
> cross-desktop. But as long as everyone will keep saving the passwords to
> the desktop-specific password storage, you won't be able to use it as a
> true cross-desktop framework.
>
> Fwiw, Telepathy is in the exact same situation. It's a cross-desktop
> framework and the created accounts (currently, using our ktp kcm) are
> shared cross-desktop, but since Telepathy uses external storage for the
> passwords (KWallet in our case), those accounts would not work in the very
> same fashion (eg. in Gnome unless you'd have KWallet running there).

Okay. I interpreted
>This means that direct integration with KWallet is no more, the SSO framework
however can use KWallet for storing things

as "We send the password to the SSO framework, which then decides where to
store it."
So I thought that in e.g. in Gnome, KTp would just send the password to SSO
which would then use gnome-keyring to store it, and the other way around when
retrieving.
A bit sad that it doesn't work that way in practice, but well.