Accounts handling in Plasma 5

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Wed Aug 27 12:27:49 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 27 August 2014 13:50:43 Martin Klapetek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to post a plan for how accounts will be created in Plasma 5 and
> how authentication will work.
>
> In KDE4, one creates an account using the KCM, the password is stored in
> KWallet and then auth-handler picks it up from it when authenticating.
>
> With Plasma5, I've revived the Accounts-SSO framework (it's used by Ubuntu,
> Gnome, elementaryOS etc) and we'd like this to be the only place in Plasma5
> where you configure your online accounts (any online accounts), including
> KTp ones. In the past weeks I was working on this and have a very much
> working version, here's how it works:

Is it still possible to call the KAccounts KCM from the KTp contact list or
Plasmoid? That would be important because when users start KTp and see there
are no accounts yet, they wouldn't manually go to the KAccounts KCM via System
Settings.

> We provide our own Accounts-SSO KCM (KAccounts), user selects which account
> to create, KAccounts loads a plugin built on top of ktp-accounts-kcm
> internal library and displays the proper UI (basically our current wizard),
> that account and its credentials is stored in the SSO storage and a mapping
> of ktp account <--> kaccount account is also stored. Then auth handler
> reads that mapping and requests the account credentials from the SSO
> framework. This means that direct integration with KWallet is no more, the
> SSO framework however can use KWallet for storing things.
>
> What's done:
>  * creating and deleting a KTp account from KAccounts
>  * auth handler properly authenticating
>
> What's missing
>  * edit identity button
>  * edit account details (including display name & icon)
>  * proper/simple Salut handling like we do now

We already talked about the Edit Identity/Account Details dualism we currently
have at the KTp sprint: I don't think it makes sense, because the distinction
is not clear for users anyway.
There still should be a way to change the avatar and display name somewhere
(together with the other account settings), shouldn't there? I assume that
functionality just isn't there _yet_, right?

> Code is mostly all merged in frameworks branches of ktp-accounts-kcm,
> ktp-common-internals and ktp-auth-handler. Any help is welcome.
>
> I'm not yet sure what to do with our own accounts kcm. All code from the
> repo besides the kcm itself is being used for KAccounts, so I'm thinking
> about just disabling the build of the kcm. At that point however it might
> be worthy moving the plugins and libs from the kcm back into
> ktp-common-internals repo as the repo is no longer a "kcm".
>
> Then there's the fact that this makes KTp hard-depend on the Accounts-SSO
> framework starting with frameworks, which is fine with me, but if you have
> objections, please speak up now. If you have any other questions, please
> ask.

That sounds fine for me, as long as users in other DEs can use their account
setup UI and not need to use KDE's.