Accounts handling in Plasma 5

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 12:43:19 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 2:27 PM, Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar at autistici.org>
wrote:

> Is it still possible to call the KAccounts KCM from the KTp contact list or
> Plasmoid? That would be important because when users start KTp and see
> there
> are no accounts yet, they wouldn't manually go to the KAccounts KCM via
> System
> Settings.

Not at the moment, but yes, that will be of course replaced. I think I'll
leave this for the frameworks port of the contact list.

 > What's missing
> >  * edit identity button
> >  * edit account details (including display name & icon)
> >  * proper/simple Salut handling like we do now
>
> We already talked about the Edit Identity/Account Details dualism we
> currently
> have at the KTp sprint: I don't think it makes sense, because the
> distinction
> is not clear for users anyway.
> There still should be a way to change the avatar and display name somewhere
> (together with the other account settings), shouldn't there? I assume that
> functionality just isn't there _yet_, right?

Correct.

> Then there's the fact that this makes KTp hard-depend on the Accounts-SSO
> > framework starting with frameworks, which is fine with me, but if you
> have
> > objections, please speak up now. If you have any other questions, please
> > ask.
>
> That sounds fine for me, as long as users in other DEs can use their
> account
> setup UI and not need to use KDE's.

What do you mean? Like Gnome not depending on KAccounts? Well I would have
personally no problem with that, but that would never happen anyway.
Besides, in KDE, we're lacking behind with the Accounts config, Gnome and
Unity has it for years, now elementaryOS joined in and we're still lacking.
But not for long.

--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer