Accounts handling in Plasma 5

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 11:50:43 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'd like to post a plan for how accounts will be created in Plasma 5 and
how authentication will work.

In KDE4, one creates an account using the KCM, the password is stored in
KWallet and then auth-handler picks it up from it when authenticating.

With Plasma5, I've revived the Accounts-SSO framework (it's used by Ubuntu,
Gnome, elementaryOS etc) and we'd like this to be the only place in Plasma5
where you configure your online accounts (any online accounts), including
KTp ones. In the past weeks I was working on this and have a very much
working version, here's how it works:

We provide our own Accounts-SSO KCM (KAccounts), user selects which account
to create, KAccounts loads a plugin built on top of ktp-accounts-kcm
internal library and displays the proper UI (basically our current wizard),
that account and its credentials is stored in the SSO storage and a mapping
of ktp account <--> kaccount account is also stored. Then auth handler
reads that mapping and requests the account credentials from the SSO
framework. This means that direct integration with KWallet is no more, the
SSO framework however can use KWallet for storing things.

What's done:
 * creating and deleting a KTp account from KAccounts
 * auth handler properly authenticating

What's missing
 * edit identity button
 * edit account details (including display name & icon)
 * proper/simple Salut handling like we do now

Code is mostly all merged in frameworks branches of ktp-accounts-kcm,
ktp-common-internals and ktp-auth-handler. Any help is welcome.

I'm not yet sure what to do with our own accounts kcm. All code from the
repo besides the kcm itself is being used for KAccounts, so I'm thinking
about just disabling the build of the kcm. At that point however it might
be worthy moving the plugins and libs from the kcm back into
ktp-common-internals repo as the repo is no longer a "kcm".

Then there's the fact that this makes KTp hard-depend on the Accounts-SSO
framework starting with frameworks, which is fine with me, but if you have
objections, please speak up now. If you have any other questions, please
ask.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer