The 0.7 thread

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 10:20:23 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Daniele E. Domenichelli <
daniele.domenichelli at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 25/03/13 14:30, David Edmundson wrote:
> > Does anyone have any plans/ambitions for 0.7?
>

> I think we can start with a list here, and then move everything to the
> wiki later, so here is part of my wish list (actually whatever comes to
> my mind), I'm not sure which one of those will be ready for 0.7.
> You may not agree with some points, probably I won't agree with myself
> when I read the list later, so let's discuss them ;)

\o/ Quite a list!

> [General]
> * Cleanup/Stabilize/Improve Documentation/Unit Tests at least part of
> the API A.K.A. "The ABI Normal Project"[1]
> * Move all non-stable classes to a KTp::priv namespace and build them as
> a separate library.
> * Install CMake files to find KTp
> * Qt5/KF5/C++11 porting

Might be too soon for this^ for 0.7

> * KTp Meta repository
>   - git submodules?
>   - Use SuperBuild[2]?
>

> [New Features/Fixes]
> * Individual presence
> * Activity based presence (ktp-accounts-kcm and ktp-kded-module)
> * Clean some stuff, fix bugs, and new features in adium themes (yes I
> know you hate them, but I don't see them disappearing very soon)
>   - Use KTp::Message instead of
>   - Background settings
>   - Invisible background?
>   - Case insensitive file names (will fix a lot of bugs in themes)
> * Make the chat widget a kpart
> * Make the contact list widget a kpart

Do we have any actual use for these^ two or just "because it's cool"? ;)
(I'm all for it)

> * Handlers handling
> * Metadata handling in file transfer
>   - Send file metadata with the file
>   - Attach contact metadata
> * Port call-ui to GStreamer 1
> * Demo chat improvement
> * Make "Add New Contact" and "Join Chat Room" dialogs executable that
> can be started by command line (so that they will appear in krunner).
> Also make a "Start a chat" executable and add .desktop files for
> ktp-dialout-ui and ktp-send-file.
> * Use .desktop files for startable actions (contact-list, text-ui and
> presence plasmoid)
>

> [New components]
> * Release ktp-kipi-plugin
> * Release ktp-paste-contact
> * Release ktp-ssh-contact

Can we make this one repo/package, something like ktp-tools? Currently we
are packagers' nightmare and I don't want to make their nightmares any
worse.

> * Code formatting text-ui plugin
> * Swear filtering text-ui plugin

So...after stalking features are done, we're starting with censoring
features... :)

[Repositories]
> * Rename ktp-contact-runner -> ktp-runner

We are so not going to be liked.

> * Make a repository for tools (add-contact, join-chat-room, send-file,
> make-a-call, paste-contact etc)? Alternatively, merge ktp-send-file in
> ktp-filetransfer-handler, put join-chat-room in

Ooh, just what I proposed above. Fully agreed.

> [Upstream]
> * Merge upstream patches[3]
> * Fix deprecated warnings in tp-qt
> * Check which tp specs are supported by tp-qt and try to upgrade them if
> required
>

> [Playground]
> * ktp-active
> * Test MUC dbustubes
> * Merge KBattleShip + StreamTubes
>   - Check that everything with .desktop files is working, that an
>     action is added to the contact list, etc
> * Zeitgeist

Needs full list of what we want to do with it and how. Seif is happy to
help us upstream.

> * Web Accounts

This^ requires a meeting with xclaessee and afiestas, anyone interested?
I'll set it up.

> [Other]
> * Take Bug count under 100
> * World domination (ok, perhaps that's for 0.8)

Go big or go home!

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer