UI overhaul

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Sun Oct 7 22:46:25 UTC 2012

Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2012 20:05:33 +0200
From: Martin Klapetek <martin.klapetek at gmail.com>
To: KDE Telepathy <kde-telepathy at kde.org>
Subject: Re: UI overhaul

>> Just so I'm more in the know, what are fundamental goals of KDE Telepathy?
> It can be boiled down to "separate, small, interchangeable components".
The most important aspect of KDE is to be highly user customizable. That would
be an argument to make both UI styles available. On the other hand, Microsoft
Lync applies multiple window style too with a contact list and a separate
chat/video view. In my opinion that is more flexible (at the moment) compared
to a fix single window setup.
Your mockup looks nice, has some kind of common master-detail setup, and
appears to be pretty integrative. However a problem is that controls are not
clearly associated to views. Does search work with contact list or chat
messages? Is collapse (the red icon) applied to the header only? To whom do I
start a video chat if I click the camera icon? Who recieves a message when I
have a direct chat (e.g. Jabber) with one person and a multi chat with a group
(e.g. IRC). And so on. Sorry for my harsh criticism, actually I understand
what you mean. But I guess it is a little bit more complicated.
PS: There are several good mockup tools, you do not need to scribble by hand
;-).
--
Dipl.-Psych. Dr. Heiko Tietze
Research & Project Management

User Prompt GmbH | Psychologic IT Expertise
Grünberger Str. 49, 10245 Berlin | www.user-prompt.com
HRB 142277 | AG Berlin Charlottenburg | Geschäftsführer Björn Balazs