UI overhaul

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 17:15:38 UTC 2012

Hey,

thanks for getting in touch!

On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 6:50 PM, Sam Hewitt <hewittsamuel at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 12:07 PM, Sam Hewitt <hewittsamuel at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I would agree (with less vehement) with George that single windowed chat
>> applications are the way to go -see: Skype, most iOS, Android applications,
>> and the direction GNOME wants to go with Empathy/Chat.

iOS and Android apps have completely different form-factors and as such
cannot really be compared with desktop chat applications (moreover, you
still have two different intents (or however is that thing called) - one
with the list and one with the chat). As for Empathy/Gnome - uhm...are we
going to remove our shutdown button next? ;)

I can also give you handful of other (maintained) apps that will not go
into that direction, most prominent being Pidgin and PSI.

> Hence this design:
>>
>> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7027392/kde-telepathy-single-window.png
>>
>> Preferably to myself, having the single-window mode as an option for
>> users would be nice, if not fully one or the other.
>>
>> *A case for single window mode:*
>>
>> 1. The single window mode would simplify the interface dissolving the
>> need for tabulation or windows upon windows; the integration with the
>> contact list would allow it to not only organize contacts buy provide a way
>> of organizing chats.

That's not entirely true; the tabulation would still be there, just moved
to a different place. What contacts organization you have in mind? What
chats organization you have in mind?

> 2. The addition of a new message count into the contact list would help
>> with chat organization; prioritization of the contacts by unread message
>> count (in addition to the user's choice of organization) would serve in
>> place of the old method -clicking the contact in the list view opens the
>> chat view for that contact.

Yup, we have been slowly working towards exactly this. However you still
need the "old method" for those that haven't sent you any message ;)

> 3. In terms of behaviour of the window, when no chats are active it would
>> appear as just the contact view, opening a chat extends the window and
>> toolbar and the chat view appears -simplification of the toolbar would make
>> this work -the addition of a "collapse" option in the chat view toolbar
>> would effectively close an open chat.

As I stated under the picture - this breaks fundamental design and goal of
KDE Telepathy. Not that it cannot be changed/reviewed...however given our
modular design, this can be put together quite easily. Maybe we can have
both interfaces?

Also I wonder if users really want this "new awesome trend". In the three
years we haven't received a single report/wish/message to consider this.

> 4. Notifications and panel entry (or whatever) urgency would notify the
>> user of incoming messages.
>>
>> P.S. My vote for a new name is Konverse ;)

What vote for a new name? We didn't start any vote nor we are going to
(also it's a bit rude to come to a project and start suggesting new names
:P)

> Cheers,
>>
>> Sam
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 11:38 AM, Georgi Karavasilev <motorslav at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> So, I and Sam Hewitt have been working on UI overhaul for KDE-Telepathy
>>> and here is what we have:
>>> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7027392/kde-telepathy-single-window.png
>>>
>>> https://picasaweb.google.com/100530892038948253747/Hermes#5796541629370248226
>>> Changes include:
>>>
>>>    - Single window mode
>>>    - Refined toolbar
>>>    - Improved chat pane design
>>>    - More
>>>
>>> I (George) have been having a bit of dicsussion about the single window
>>> mode with Martin Klapetek<https://plus.google.com/u/0/101026761070865237619> and
>>> I gotta say that for me (can't say about Sam) the single window mode is a
>>> must have, this means that if you decide to nuke that from the design
>>> you'll have only Sam to talk with. Why is single window mode a must have -
>>> because you currently have two windows - a main Contact window and a chat
>>> window with tabs for different chats. This means that A) you can run out of
>>> tabs space sooner or later B) Having to manipulate one window is easier
>>> than two.

Question is - how often you need to manipulate the contact list? I
personally start a chat from it and close it/hide it, so it's not getting
into my way. I don't need it anymore, so why would I want to keep it
visible all the time?

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer