KDE Telepathy and Kubuntu

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Sat Mar 10 16:10:00 UTC 2012

Telepathy message indicator works differently to how the indicator
works with every other app. Normally (like in konversation) there is a
Kubuntu patch which emits some signals saying (I've got a message").

However, instead of patching anything there is a message indicator
plugin (cleverly called telepathy-indicator) which builds an entire
approver into the message indicator. (for Jonathan's benefit; this
means the message indicator is listening for the telepathy backend
broadcasting "I've got a new message channel!!!", but we also have our
stuff that listens for that too)

It's this plugin which has the hardcoded "I guess you're using
empathy". If you don't have this installed you won't be get
telepathy-based-indications.

If we patched our stuff, if the user still has this plugin installed,
no matter how much we patch our stuff they'd get multiple alerts
unless we change this plugin.

Dave